ICT (Core) WAEC Syllabus: Below is this year’s WAEC syllabus for Information and Communication Technology. Note that this syllabus is for both internal and external candidates.
The aims of the syllabus are to test:
(1) candidates’ knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts of Information and Communication Technology.
(2) the capabilities of candidates in the application of ICT knowledge in education and business.
(3) candidates’ preparedness for higher studies.
SCHEME OF EXAMINATION:
There will be two papers, Papers 1 and 2, both of which will be composite papers to be taken in one sitting.
This Paper will consist of forty multiple-choice objective questions, all of which must be answered within 45 minutes for 20 marks.
Paper 2 will consist of four compulsory tests of practical knowledge questions and six essay-type questions.
Candidates will be required to answer the compulsory test of practical questions and any two of the other questions within 2 hours for 80 marks.
ICT (Core) DETAILED WAEC SYLLABUS
1. INTRODUCTION TO BASIC ICT CONCEPTS AND COMPUTERS
- 1.1 Meaning of ICT and its related terminologies.
- 1.2 Uses of ICT tools e.g. mobile phones, computers, Internet, television set, radio, etc.
- 1.3 Impact of ICT on Education, Social and Economic Development.
- 1.4 Information processing cycle; distinction between data and information
- 1.5 Types and Uses of Computers.
2. COMPUTER HARDWARE
- 2.1 Categories of computer hardware: the system unit, peripherals and storage media.
3 COMPUTER SOFTWARE
- 3.1 Types of software: System and application software.
- 3.2 Open source and proprietary software.
4 THREATS TO COMPUTERS AND USERS
- 4.1 Meaning of computer threats.
- 4.2 Categories of computer threats.
- 4.2.1 Natural threats e.g. earthquakes, heat, floods, etc.
- 4.2.2 Human threats, e.g.viruses, worms, intentional damage, etc.
- 4.3 Health hazards to computer users: causes and effects.
- 4.4 Remedies to Threats and Hazards.
5 WORD PROCESSING
- 5.1 Word Processing Packages, their uses and Importance.
- 5.2 Related Concepts and Terminologies
- 5.3 Creating and saving documents.
- 5.4 Editing, formatting, and insertion of objects e.g. tables, graphics, etc.
- 5.5 Printing of documents.
- 5.6 Speed and Accuracy in typing at 30-35 words per minute.
- 6.1 Spreadsheet packages, their uses and importance.
- 6.2 Related concepts and terminologies
- 6.3 Types of data and their uses.
- 6.4 Creating and saving workbook.
- 6.5 Constructing and inserting formulae and functions.
- 6.6 Editing and formatting worksheets.
- 6.7 Printing worksheets.
- 7.1 Presentation Packages, Uses and Importance.
- 7.2 Creating and saving presentations.
- 7.3 Editing, formatting and insertion of objects.
- 7.4 Slide shows.
- 7.5 Master slides.
- 7.6 Factors to consider before delivering a presentation.
- 7.7 Printing Presentation Documents.
8. THE INTERNET
- 8.1 Meaning, concepts, terminologies, and requirements.
- 8.2 Features and Uses of browser windows.
- 8.3 Rules and regulations in the use of the Internet (Netiquette).
- 8.4 Sending and accessing e-mail.
- 8.5 Internet-related tools for communication, e.g. chatting, downloading, uploading, search engines, Facebook, etc.
That is all for ICT WAEC Syllabus.
Check out the following related subjects: